The Fall of Roe v Wade & the Insidious Fascist Plot to Make All Women into Mere Broodmares

I thought after the beginning they outlawed abortion, encouraged women to be ‘natural mothers’ and ran campaigns to give weak prizes to women who were very fertile… mainly because they had lost a generation already by then.

But I could be misinformed. That’s more the attitude I’m thinking of though…

14 Likes

Here we go…

The Soviet Union under Lenin legalized it (the first European country to do so), and Stalin banned it, but post Stalin it was revoked…

We’re both right! :face_with_monocle:

20 Likes

What, no decorations to go with it? Shame.

13 Likes

And yet, those same republicans will do nothing to ensure that people serving in the armed forces with that many children are living above the poverty line.
SMH.

18 Likes

/s

14 Likes

How about cash prizes?

15 Likes

Oh, shit. And, I just recalled, property taxes are generally the largest funding source for schools in the US, so this move is extra BS.
And also, how would this work for renters…?
Such a bad idea on so many levels.

20 Likes

IIRC, Singapore used to (still does?) give tax credits and “baby bonus” cash payments on a sliding scale based on the educational qualifications of the parents. Big bonuses if both parents have a degree.

ETA: Abortion is legal and available in Singapore. Which doesn’t make class-based social engineering ok, of course.

8 Likes
18 Likes
13 Likes

Striking back:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/07/texas-abortion-ban-lawsuit-women-health/

Archive version: https://archive.ph/Jn5cs

ETA: Not sure why the WaPo isn’t one-boxing. Headline:

5 women denied abortions sue Texas in landmark post-Roe case

18 Likes

And here is the article from Texas Tribune

21 Likes
17 Likes
18 Likes
18 Likes

We were told that this would not happen, but here we are…

And just because these bills are failing now does not mean they will fail in the future…

24 Likes

Frozen human embryos can legally be considered property, or “chattel,” a Virginia judge has ruled, basing his decision in part on a 19th century law governing the treatment of slaves.

The logic is… unescapable. Since fetuses are held as fully human by these asshats, and now there is a ruling the these “fully human beings” can also be considered chattel, it follows that other sorts of humans are also property. Gilead, here we come.

21 Likes

In one generation if I had to speculate. One generation of chattel-embryos implanted and then those wombs are now chattel-wombs and the resulting population of female slaves can be used to breed more slaves for as long as the horror is allowed to continue.

16 Likes

Yep. If embryos are “property” of the father, then the owner should have a say over the “vessel” holding it.

16 Likes

joanna lumley rage GIF

10 Likes