The Fall of Roe v Wade & the Insidious Fascist Plot to Make All Women into Mere Broodmares

Weird; I did.

I wasn’t married; still I have no doubt that I made the best choice for my child and myself.

Leaving my abusive partner at 8 months pregnant is partly why my daughter is now a happy college freshman, and her mom isn’t dead or in jail.

I feel for anyone who can become pregnant, but especially in states where women are considered no better than chattel.

18 Likes

Just in my news feed, coincidentally

No indication her partner was the guy, but going by statistics…

14 Likes
11 Likes

If you’re not a Washington Post subscriber, an alternate article on this story:

I’d say what I think about this male but it would get me banned, so this will have to suffice: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

11 Likes

Thanks for the non-paywalled version!

7 Likes

[Kevin Gannon: “Tired of major media creating space for right wingers to publish thinly-veiled great replacement shit.” — Bluesky (bsky.app)]

12 Likes

It’s about control, as always.

11 Likes
11 Likes
10 Likes

Of course they did. Just like pre-Roe. The silly thing about the anti-abortion argument is that abortion restrictions statistically increase the number of abortions and increase infant mortality. Mathematically, the anti-abortion movement is provably not about reducing or eliminating abortion and it’s not about improving live births. It’s 100% about controlling women.

12 Likes

Beautifully written:

13 Likes

Oh. My. God.

Breaking Bad Crying GIF

12 Likes
13 Likes
15 Likes

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

11 Likes

This could go under Black Lives as well, so…

On why women of color are more likely to have C-sections in the U.S. today
The simple answer is racism. There’s nothing biological about women of color that makes them more likely to have a C-section. So that’s the most important thing to put out about these disproportionate rates. And if we break it down, that happens because of so many different kinds of racism.

Disturbing details in article, consider this your TW.

14 Likes

i heard this interview on Fresh Air this afternoon. on top of the racism involved (or part and parcel thereof) according to the interview, women having a c-section birth were statistically less likely to have more children. seems to fit the notion of some to call for c-sections for women of color more often than is needed.

11 Likes

Interesting.

I had a midwife/doula during my pregnancy with my daughter.

And at the end of my journey when I was due to give birth, I remember some random, on-duty doctor being called into my room to consult when there were some minor issues with my contractions. He didn’t even look at me, barely looked at my chart, and then glibly stated “We’re gonna cut,” before starting to walk out.

I immediately called him back in an assertive voice, and this is the Reader’s Digest version of our exchange:

Me:
“Whoa, there, doc; pump ya breaks. Is my baby in danger?”

Random Ass MD:
“No, not really.”

Me:
“Am I in danger?”

Random Ass MD:
“No, not really.”

Me:
“Then why don’t y’all just let me try to push, before deciding to perform major surgery on my body without consulting me?”

They let me push: Girlizmatic was out 20 minutes later.

24 Likes

Contrast to me, white woman. Pre-eclampsia killing my liver, induced and contracting for 15 hours, BP taken every 10 minutes, cervix won’t budge even after the giant knitting needle to break my water. Magnesium drip ready to go but not yet dripping. Baby’s heartbeat getting a little too fast.
Doc comes in and recommends a C-section. Can’t give any more induction drugs without stressing the baby too much. But if vaginal birth is really important, they can delay another 2 hours and see if my cervix cooperates.
It was a strong recommendation with the explanation that, in her opinion, my cervix wasn’t going to open up and the longer we waited, the more dangerous it got for us both. But still a recommendation.

Would it have been a recommendation if I wasn’t so very white? I wonder about that every time I see an article about C-section rates for WoC.

ETA: I went with the C-section immediately and had kii-kitten out and screaming in 20 min. We’d already decided after the pre-eclampsia and month of bedrest that we were one and done

17 Likes

Honestly, it never even occurred to me until recently that race might have been part of the issue. (That MD certainly was not a POC.)

At the time, I chalked it up to mere “god complex…”

16 Likes