The name of the next Star Wars movie is

Hearing Ron Howard was directing was the only thing that made me think it might be good.

4 Likes

What if “Solo” ISN’T referring to his name?

1 Like

With movies coming out yearly I am sure Lando will get his day soon.

1 Like

When will they finally make a movie telling the untold story of what Ponda Baba and Cornelius Ezavan were up to during the 48 hours in between their cameo in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and the cantina scene in Episode IV: a New Hope??

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THE POTENTIAL FOR AN ODD-COUPLE ROADTRIP COMEDY HERE??

8 Likes

I’m having a lot of difficulty deciding if it would be more like Harold and Kumar or more like Thelma and Louise…

6 Likes

pescowars

pescowars2

9 Likes

Disney have been playing it safe ever and always since Walt kicked the bucket.

2 Likes

Wookie pa nub

3 Likes

It would be more like Thelma and Kumar.

4 Likes

Isn’t that a bit much, even for a phablet? :wink:

1 Like

I assume you read the essay that laid out a rather plausible case for R2-D2 controlling the entire Star Wars universe?

@TripleE: I’m so glad I don’t tweet. I’m very much looking forward to seeing Black Panther. The cast is incredible.

4 Likes

I’d say a Star Wars movie with no Jedi and no recognizable main characters that kills the entire cast at the end isn’t exactly “playing it safe”.

And to be fair, Disney isn’t calling the shots on these movies the way you might imagine. They pretty much just give Lucasfilm money and let them do their thing.

3 Likes

glover

I still found it a safe movie within those parameters, i would need to rewatch it again to give some specifics as far as the story goes. However i do give them kudos for how that movie was wrapped up, i liked it more than The Force Awakens.

2 Likes

The Star Wars films have always been more-or-less family-friendly space operas, they’ve always had a lack of bad language & sexuality and the violence is stylized enough to not be gory or gross. So sure, in that sense they’re all “safe”, and I wouldn’t really expect a SW film to suddenly be R-rated or have Han Solo swearing up a storm. I guess a more “unsafe” SW film would go into a time period we no nothing about with characters we no nothing about, without that anchor of “oh, it’s a new cast, but it’s still the Death Star”. I’d love an Old Republic film or series, personally.

2 Likes

My glibness aside, I agree with everything you have here. No way they’re pushing boundaries with this franchise, because that’s not what Disney does.

Ha, that R2D2 bit has been going around since at least the late 90s when I was in college, and has been rewritten a couple times since, because it just gets more plausible each time.

2 Likes

I don’t think an R rating or making things extra dark is necessary to tell a compelling story :slight_smile: But like i said, i quite liked Rogue One and low key i think it’s one of the best SW movies made despite issues i might have with it.

As you said, it’d be cool to see them focus on totally new stories for the non-main SW movies rather than tread on characters we already know enough about. I’d like more stories that feature as little of the Jedi as possible like Rogue One did, it’s a big universe and i would presume there’s plenty of people that can get around fine without any force powers.

3 Likes

Ann Leckie’s Ancillary/Imperial Radch series of novels is supposedly in the works for adaptation to a television series. It takes place in an interstellar post-gender empire of predominantly black women. I am eager to see if they realize it, without diluting the setting or concepts.

4 Likes

This is why I cringe at the idea of a Boba Fett movie.

Fett was super cool when he’d said about three words and was a mysterious guy in sexy armor. Learning more about him hasn’t made him more cool. Now, a Mandalorian-centered movie might be interesting… or even a bounty hunter “scum and villainy” movie. But Boba Fett as a star does not excite me.

The SW universe is huge and full of interesting things to explore. Gangsters on Nar Shadda, smugglers on Ord Mantell, the origins of the Sith, the deep levels of Coruscant. I’d rather see any of those than watch Ben Kenobi fart around in the desert and be lonely for two hours.

2 Likes