The new Ghostbusters trailer is awesome

Quickly now! Take to twitter, and disabuse the unwashed masses.

5 Likes

A group of scientists saved New York? I thought they saved the world.

A few years later Bill Murray’s “Quick Change” was a pretty convincing argument that New York was beyond saving.

2 Likes

I very much doubt I need to. I imagine it isn’t just me who thinks it is bullshit. At least Winston Zeddemore was supposed to have a Ph.D. and be a marine.

2 Likes

If only Leslie Jones was the kind of person to be verbal and speak her mind.

2 Likes

I’m sure Leslie Jones will appreciate you being offended for her.

2 Likes

I recently re-watched Ghostbusters 2 a few weeks ago wondering if it was any better than I remember it being. It really wasn’t. After reading that list my opinion hasn’t changed. Ok, there a couple of good jokes (the scene where they are digging the hole in 1st Avenue is one of my favorites) I found the true laughs are few and far between.

Then and now I still find the the Statue of Liberty part to be utterly cringeworthy. Everything about that scene has always bothered me – from the special effects to the overall concept. Ugh.

Anyway I hold some cautious optimism after seeing this trailer that it can be funny. I doubt it’ll be anywhere near as good as the original, though.

1 Like

Rick morranis and sigourney Weaver. They both hammed it up spectacularly.

6 Likes

People are talking about it. There’s a good discussion over on The Mary Sue: http://www.themarysue.com/ghostbusters-patty/ (there is always a good discussion on The Mary Sue)

If there had to be a non-scientist in the crew, it would indeed have been cool if it could have been someone other than the one woman of color. But it looks like Leslie Jones has a much bigger role than Ernie Hudson had, and I’m still excited for the movie.

8 Likes

6 Likes

I think it looks lazy, and the fact that every single one of Leslie Jones’s lines is that of a stereotypical token black woman is inane. (It’s a Cadillac!) It’s like “wow, we decided to do it with all women, that’s it, we don’t have to think about this anymore.”

And the guns look like they just vaporize the ghosts, so we don’t even get to have fun and almost-skill of catching them, it’s just pew! pew!.

Oh well, I’m just a grump.

6 Likes

Looked like one hell of an upgrade on the shoebox trap to me!

6 Likes

Yeah I’m really hoping they’ve given her some character beyond “sassy streetwise black lady” because this is 20-fucking-16.

I am SUUUPER digging Kate McKinnon’s “Real Ghostbusters Egon” look though. Yow.

12 Likes

The original didn’t do much for me. This one looks like it will be disappointing also. I found Bridesmaids pretty disappointing as well.
I guess mediocre comedy just isn’t one of my favorite genres.
You know what else, Back to the Future can bite me.

1 Like

Feels like the siliness is ramped up a bit, or maybe the original was just a bit more dry? Compare:

To me, the original actually feels like (mostly) real people, living (mostly) realistic lives. And the sets are dark and gritty, they feel more realistic. The gadgets feel more real. And these new caricatures are exaggerated just a bit beyond my tastes, like an entire cast of Don Knotts. Perhaps this is just a generational thing, I had the same problems with Fury Road. Or maybe this is just my love of Bill Murray peeking through? His mastery of dry humor really carries a lot of his characters through their sillier moments, leaving them within the realm of reality. But of course trailers are a terrible way to judge character developments anyway, so more to come.

As for GB2, I thought it had its moments. Once I was able to get past the incredible let down of lady liberty and the bad acting, I was able find enough in there to not hate it.

7 Likes

This one looks good enough for me. Certainly the talent is there in the actors; I just hope the script is good. I’m a bit disappointed if it’s more of a remake than a sequel. I would have liked to see a West Coast version, like they’re founding a Los Angeles branch of the company.

9 Likes

Feig and the other producers have been clear that this does not take place in the same universe as the original films. There are some fan-winks in the movie but it’s completely apart from the 80’s movies.

The 30 Years thing is confusing out of context, but in context they are just saying the Film happened 30 years ago, not the events in the film.

2 Likes

What the hell?!?!

9 Likes

Yeah, that pretty much made me dismiss everything else after that.

1 Like

Seriously? Funnier than the original cast? Good God. (And not in the James Brown kind of way.)

3 Likes

But, I will admit that Fury Road could have used more Bill Murray.

14 Likes