The Queen Elizabeth II Meta Thread

June 1961.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t know, I quite like Queen in a hoodie, driving a Range Rover.

19 Likes

BBC News - Queen Elizabeth II has died, Buckingham Palace announces

16 Likes

One of my fave stories is when she took the late king of Saudi Arabia for a drive around Balmoral and scared the shit out of him!

21 Likes

That was a great moment, and showed how much she understood political theatre.

3 Likes

5 Likes
6 Likes

I honestly doubt that. I don’t know where that narrative comes from

1 Like
11 Likes

I think she got her revenge on him by convincing him to wear that ridiculous tuxedo:

10 Likes

BBC Sounds app seems to stopped working.

Website still works. I need my bed time comedy to get to sleep.

1 Like

Her death will be in the evening papers.

Oh the indignity!

4 Likes

Oh well.

On one hand, the media are going to be even more insufferable than usual for the next couple of weeks.
On the other, possible extra national holiday?

4 Likes

It’s not a tuxedo. They’re tails. White tie. And to be honest, neither of them wear them very well. Obama doesn’t quite achieve the slim cutaway look because the shoulders of his tailcoat are very broad and the cutaway is very low, as well as the trousers being rather baggy. He looks almost as if he is wearing a morning coat. It’s a shame because he has the figure to cut a dashing figure in white tie. As for Trump, yeah…

ETA:

Compare King Carl Gustav of Sweden at a Nobel price ceremony for how it is supposed to look. Note especially how a sliver of the shirtfront is visible below the cutaway jacket.

8 Likes

Not to mention Trump’s perpetually constipiated look while QE looks annoyed to be standing next to that orange turd. Contrast that with Obama and QE who look almost as if one told the other a dirty joke and they are trying not to burst out laughing.

11 Likes

:musical_score: Wherever I lay my crown,
That’s my hooome… :notes:

1 Like

So she was Queen for 70 years yet the news only seems to have 6 still images and 4 video clips.

2 Likes

Apparently he’ll be Charles III.

Charles I: beheaded
Charles II: Died of “apoplectic fit” possibly but not provably due to mercury poisoning.

We’ll see how this one goes.

10 Likes

You don’t think he’ll change his name? I thought they were avoiding the name Charles as bad luck after the whole Cromwell thing, along with John.

8 Likes