This protestors’ sign sums things up quite nicely

Nah… the SPLC are partisan hacks, just out to get good white men…

Also, Breitbart is a non-partisan correction to the hopelessly partisan “lamestream” media:

This is mainstream media now.

19 Likes

It seems reasonable that at least some of the incidents are actually happening. But none of the Trump people I know would allow that sort of thing without intervening. There have been plenty of incidents of anti-Trump people smashing windows, attacking people, and burning stuff. At least Trump expressed displeasure that anything was happening in his name. Has HRC made any statement?

No, many ARE happening. What seems reasonable is that at least some of them are fabricated, just like it’s reasonable that among any large crowd protesting with signs, some will be fucked up.

Your constant effort to seem reasonable from the unreasonable side of the political fence is getting very thin. (And here I am, treating you reasonably, falling into the trap, like others here, of feeding a trolley.)

19 Likes

Yep. You’re right. We’re making all this oppression shit up, and always have. If only we’d listen to the poor whites who are calling people the n-word and attacking women,

Except for the ones who are doing this shit.

She’s a private citizen now. Why should she? It’s not her job.

Trump is the president-elect, and has made some weak, ineffectual comments about violence directed at minorities. But he also put into a key position ONE OF THE PIED PIPERS OF THE MODERN WHITE NATIONALIST MOVEMENT. But yeah, I’m sure he’ll be fair and just to all Americans, all human beings living when he MAGA!!!

26 Likes

I pray that no one who looks like me ever actually needs Max’s “help.”

Or anyone who is Muslim.

Or anyone who is LGBTQ.

Or anyone who is Latin@.

Or…

24 Likes

America had outright legal racial segregation little more than a generation ago, and there were many people who fought for it, and other anti-civil rights things since. But that’s the past, and you can’t conceivably imagine many of those people or attitudes are left.

So even when you see a movement that polls as primarily motivated by racial concerns, supporting a candidate who demonizes other races in nigh every damn speech, you wouldn’t want to presume it’s related to any of that. These are our coworkers and neighbors, not at all like the common civil rights opponents of the past, who lived in some sort of alternate reality that has outright vanished in the last few decades.

I hate this narrative so much. Look, it’s very plain a lot of this election had to do with Clinton not reaching people. The primary reason she lost is that relatively few people turned out to vote, not enough to overcome effects like voter suppression and the odd weighting of the electoral college. And it makes perfect sense to consider why that was, and the way the Democratic party has neglected left-wing concerns like labor is probably a key part of that. That’s stuff people should have been worrying about even in the absence of Trump, because it’s important to making a better world.

But let’s stop pretending that racism and misogyny were somehow not part of Trump’s victory. He ran on them, evidence suggests they were a major part of at least him winning the primary, and lots of people are celebrating their triumph now. If we want to deal with them, I don’t think closing our eyes and pretending America doesn’t have a serious problem with them is any part of the answer. It has for a long time, and this is it showing up again. That’s the reality we need to deal with.

We need to reach out to more people, but some things should be polarizing. I think I’m going to just include this comic every time I say something, maybe for the next four years.

27 Likes

Living fucking memory.

Because it continues in many forms. Also, continued Jim Crow with the legal system.

Further evidence none of this is behind us. And he had a homophobic, anti-woman running mate…

23 Likes

Paraphrasing the words of John Legend, the fact that there were so many people who could look past DJT’s flagrantly obvious bigotry and misogyny in order to vote for him is an ugly, permanent mark on the US that will not be forgotten by the so-called minorities of this country. That’s something we can’t ‘get past.’

26 Likes

Odd, it sounds like you’re putting much more faith in these reported incidents than on reports of hateful things done by pro-Trump people. But surely I’m misreading this, and you’re putting just as much weight on fully verifiable reports of incidents no matter which side they’re on.

15 Likes

If you post the video of the incident online, it is pretty hard to ignore or deny. And enough of it has been on the mainstream news for a reasonable person to believe that it is happening.

How fitting considering that Trump supporters voted for a big toddler who throws a tantrum every time he doesn’t get his way. But as a Trump supporter yourself you give them a free pass.

17 Likes

And yet, you seem to be denying the reports of pro-trump hate incidents, which have also been in the mainstream news.

14 Likes

But the administration of a country is not about abstract competition, it is about keeping things working as well as possible. What is playing out here is effectively the textbook dilemma about whether or not people in a democracy have a right to vote their democratic processes away. It is pressing because once those processes are replaced with centralized control, it is very hard to put them back. Your baseball analogy does not account for sore winners, and it is they who are in a frenzy of both personal and institutional destruction. Trump was elected upon the public promise of getting corrupt insiders out of the federal government - now before he is even in office, he is appointing these same people.

So for many people the fight has only just begun. Today it is the “losers” who knew Trump was a liar and a fraud (there is a lot of evidence to back up that he is), and shortly it will be the “winners” who were gullible enough to vote for him. If the oath he takes in a few months tells a different story than his actions do, why shouldn’t people oppose him? Even if the vote itself was legal, Trump himself is pushing many policies and practices which are not legal, so I think it is not surprising that there are many willing to call him to it.

19 Likes

Yes. Also, whether or not ALL things should be up for vote, such as civil and human rights. And whether or not our corporate news media sold us out for ratings. Or is the social media bubbles many of us live in has been helpful in creating a viable democratic institutions.

13 Likes

From my experiences growing up in Missouri… YES

15 Likes

I wrote Bernie in. But I was more afraid of Clinton than I was of Trump.

Congratulations on your white penis!

28 Likes

[1 year from now]

UW: Look people, it’s just the first year. You think the system is crap, fix it. You think Trump is an asshole, get a competitor who is not. I reckon there will be plenty of cause for rallying in the coming years, so save your energy.

[2 years from now]

UW: Look people, it’s just the second year. You think the system is crap, fix it. You think Trump is an asshole, get a competitor who is not. I reckon there will be plenty of cause for rallying in the coming years, so save your energy.

[3 years from now]

UW: Look people, it’s just the third year. You think the system is crap, fix it. You think Trump is an asshole, get a competitor who is not. I reckon there will be plenty of cause for rallying in the coming years, so save your energy.

[4 years from now]

UW: Look people, it’s just an election year. You think the system is crap, fix it. You think Trump is an asshole, get a competitor who is not. I reckon there will be plenty of cause for rallying in the coming years, so save your energy.

18 Likes

I agree that there are issues that we are going to have to fight for. Luckily, we do have a governmental body with the primary purpose of voiding illegal rulings from the executive and legislative branches.

Yes, you’ve said how afraid you were of Clinton even though you’ve refused to specifically say why. In fact when I asked you a direct question you refused to answer and lied about what I’d asked, which is one of many things that undermines your credibility.

Thank you, though, for clarifying that you think we’re better off with someone who’s openly anti-LGBT, anti-Muslim, and prejudiced in many other ways and whose staffing choices already reflect that.

18 Likes