Today's mass shootings

Yes, there were executive actions and orders. Almost all of those have been reversed. No long term federal legislation came about because of Sandy Hook, and only five states passed long term legislation. The state where it happened passed a comprehensive assault weapon registry, and then has failed to prosecute anyone who has refused to register their weapons.

Which hardly seems Obama’s fault. Congress (especially the Senate) has become the single largest stumbling block to getting anything of consequence done - even during the Obama era when the Democrats had control of all 3. Pinning the blame squarely on him for not “doing” anything when the GOP has been obsessed with nothing but not letting Democrats do ANYTHING (and a few blue dog Democrats joining in with that BS) is not HIS fault. It was a problem that existed since the Gingrich years and has only metastasised since then. Him being the first Black president exacerbated that, though. Because the only thing worse than letting the Democrats deal with issues facing us is to let the Black guy get a win.

TLDR: The problem with legislation NOT getting passed lies squarely in the Congress. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

I’m not pinning it on Obama , I’m saying that federally his party was in charge, and both parties seem to have no interest in enacting or enforcing these laws. Many states have super majorities for the democrats and they haven’t done anything either. I’m saying that we’ve politically collectively decided that it’s not important enough with 20 children dying, and that if that’s not enough to enact permanent change, nothing is. We’re coming up on the tenth anniversary of it, and gun laws have, on the aggregate, been loosened in almost every state in the union compared from now til then.

It’s not blaming Obama, it’s stating that with 20 kids dead and the most control we’ve seen in decades , we still didn’t have enough political capital to get anything done… and if that’s not enough, nothing ever likely will be.

2 Likes

I’m pointing out a larger problem with the current political landscape, though, beyond the leadership of the Democratic party. And the senate (the prime hold up for federal legislation) was almost as narrowly split as it is now during his administration. And since the Democratic party is the big tent party, it is harder to get that party together to get stuff done, which helps explain the problems with state legislature.

9 Likes

the supreme court of course is part of why states and local jurisdictions have had a hard time establishing gun laws

In two landmark cases handed down more than a decade ago, the Supreme Court held that the Second Amendment protects the individual right to carry a gun for self-defense inside the home. Last year, it declined to issue a substantial ruling in its first major Second Amendment case since.

In the case the court agreed to hear Monday, New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Keith Corlett, No. 20-843, individuals and a state organization are challenging a New York law that requires individuals to show “proper cause” in order to receive a permit for the open carry of a handgun.

5 Likes

You Know Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

5 Likes

I get that, but from the same wikipedia link above that was linked, they discuss states that passed legislation and where that legislation got. It’s not that the states had trouble establishing laws and enforcing them, it’s that most didn’t even try. Those five states as a collective I mentioned that did WERE the only states to pass ANY laws as a result of Sandy Hook, and yes, the Supreme Court has turned out some of those cases.

true, but temper that with the reality of political capital. if you’re actually trying to govern and you believe that the supreme court is likely to override state decision making and you see there’s already a state that’s sending up a test ballon: waiting is a reasonable option

( since the republicans don’t care about governance, they happily spend all their time on repeatedly trying to overturn obamacare, reproductive rights, civil rights. they don’t need to accomplish anything to win votes )

that said, some individuals are trying: ca has something like ten bills in committee trying to protect people from guns, plus newsom’s push for a law mimicking texas’s attack on access to abortion ( the latter being a good example of how states look at what’s happening elsewhere )

8 Likes

Right by my mother’s house. Impact to be determined.

ETA: a what now?

10 Likes

Not downplaying the possible impact on people, but that “the suspect is a female black” part just grates on my ears…

13 Likes

No kidding. What a choice of words. A double-othering

12 Likes
6 Likes

If only there was a good guy with a gun there?

12 Likes

Content Warning

13 Likes

It almost seems like they took Mayor Adams’ decree against crime as a challenge, doesn’t it?

6 Likes

content warning needed i think because i did not expect to see blood and bodies ( tho i quickly clicked away so not 100% sure about the latter )

4 Likes

Content warning added. Those pictures weren’t in the article when I linked it.

4 Likes

Oh my, this is really quite bizarre.

7 Likes
9 Likes

Not really a mass shooting but a good guy with a gun shot some shoplifters, no wait…

A shoe store co-owner, fired multiple rounds at two shoplifters inside the Mall of Victor Valley in Victorville, California when a girl taking photos with an Easter Bunny was struck, Victorville police said in a statement.

3 Likes