Top Trump strategist quits, writes an open letter warning America about him

To a lot of his supporters these are not gaffes, which says something about a certain portion of American society; a lot of Americans are angry self-righteous, self-aggrandizing assholes.

12 Likes

I could totally see him selling buckets of food with Jim Bakker in 5 years if he ends up losing (either the RNC nomination or the general election). Putting his name on those buckets would add an additional layer of legitimacy to the whole operation. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Juggalos in the White House is the time thread we became the moment Shaggy 2 Dope and Violent J tried and failed to attend Halloween as a 2 piece KISS cover band when they were 12 years old…

but no one thought it would happen so quickly…

2 Likes

5 Likes

His self identified supporters on Breitbart and his unofficial Reddit page are more than just that.

I suggest checking out his fandom’s comments.

It’s fascinating to see the other side. You can peer right into the far right bubble.

They’re hate mongering and fantasizing about their inevitable race war strategies. Spouting off pseudoreligious political drivel. Finding ever more bizarre and dehumanizing ways to talk about women, about minorities, and about different religions. And it’s shouting match of overzealous and hyperbolic statements.

5 Likes

Excuse me, no. It’s ludicrous to think that “Conservative ideals in how the government being is run” will recognize transgender people, or any people who are not straight white males, in any meaningful way. Feel free to take recent actions by North Carolina, among other places in the US, as examples of this.

4 Likes

Unrelated to Trumpy things, but we just visited Bath. Boy is it beautiful in that area, gorgeous countryside, and Bath itself was absolutely wonderful to visit. When you live there do you become desensitized?

2 Likes

I’ve been to Bath. Of course I visited the Roman Temple and baths. Really neat.

2 Likes

He was, he said and did a lot of things that I considered him a rational person for. And then he needed to pick a VP and the decent into madness began in a rapid desire to court the far right he swung out into crazytown and kept going. Then he lost and suddenly returned to railing against how veterans are treated and saying that we need to respect others and Muslims aren’t our enemies.

I am of the belief that he was hypnotized.

4 Likes

I loved Bath so much that I came very close to pursuing a graduate degree at University of Bath a few years back just so I could spend some time studying there. I remember getting off the train and seeing punters on the river and a boys’ choir singing in the square as people played cricket nearby and thinking my god this cannot possibly get more English.

10 Likes

There should be more BB threads on how awesome Bath is rather than rehashing the latest Trump atrocities. Also more hedgehogs.

8 Likes

a.k.a. “fart bubble.”

2 Likes

I was just there as an American tourist, and sort of entranced by its loveliness. U Bath courted me pretty heavily for its design grad program, but in the end I was put off by the courses they were offering. For a graduate program in graphic design, the big selling point at the time was “if you’re a scrapbooker, you’ll be right at home!”

2 Likes

Let it be so!

6 Likes

Sadly, the anarchists usually got put against a wall and shot by the Stalinists long before they got taken to the gulags. There was too much chance of them gaining support from disillusioned communists at the gulags.

But back to LGBT conservatives.

My belief is that they aren’t doing any good by loyally voting Republican. Their party’s LGBT policies are at least 50 years behind the UK conservative party, for example, and only going backwards. Young conservatives are more LGBT positive? That’s great, but we are looking at 20-50 years before they have enough power to change the party assuming that the Christian Right declines at the same time. I don’t think that waiting that long and being a second class citizen until things improve is healthy or a good idea.

They want to change the Republican Party sooner? Maybe they should be voting Libertarian? Start doing that at the local and state level, try to persuade family and friends to vote for them too, get the right wing democrats on your side and make the Republicans fear for the loss of votes. Make them change by saying “I will not vote Democrat, but I’m certainly not voting for you until you change”. That is how you will change them, not by being nice to politicians who will ignore you in favour of the anti-LGBT vote.

The threat of removing the Republicans power is the best tool they have to change them. They have to stop being scared of it.

5 Likes

I’ve lived in New York for about 10 years (moved here for my LES-born wife) and when we finally went to the Statue of Liberty, I was pretty blown away. But then I grew up in Bath (,Maine…one of the 100 best little cities in America!)

2 Likes

outside “help” is not always needed

(not directly meant as reply, but I needed a reason to post this twitter exchange)

13 Likes

Ah, so YOU’RE “the establishment”! :wink:

7 Likes

IMHO the biggest screw up of the Republican party in the last 50 years, and this was predicted by Barry Goldwater, was having the Evangelicals some how infiltrate the Republican power base. There needs to be a purge.

I agree with you - a LOT of people should vote libertarian. Unfortunately the Libertarian party I think is waaay to radical for most people. I didn’t understand some of the libertarian hate until I realize I was a moderate and there were others who were much more hard-lined and crazy, for lack of a better word.

BUT - that point is moot right now. For several reasons 3rd party candidates are not very viable. Especially in bigger races. I really, really wish we had a weighted voting system like Australia which would allow people to vote FOR someone like a 3rd party candidate, rather than against one of the big two.

1 Like