Trump administration sues John Bolton to block publication of new book that claims presidential misconduct

I saw that too. It means the advanced review copies are already out and circulating among reviewers and interviewers. The cat is out of the bag.

Of course. I hope the entire wad of scum that is modern day conservatism implodes and leaves the rest of us in peace.

Roger that. May they all rot in hell… or at the very least end up out of office and possibly in the clinker.

18 Likes

Damn the Trump Administration is running out of tricks. His main opponent is a White man so the racist/gender based dog-whistles aren’t getting any traction anymore. Washington D.C is swampier than ever. His own niece is providing tax info to the New York Times and writing her own tell all. And finally their personal Attorney William Barr doesn’t have the power he thinks he does (Trying to bypass the 1st Amendment). I’d put extra guards on the Capitol building if I were the Mayor of D.C.

6 Likes

i mean, is it possible there’s no cat? ( the cat asked ironically )

everybody assumes there’s something important in the book, but what if the administration just wants to cause him grief?

and wouldn’t it be a nice feather in their cap if they were to get everyone all built up over a “tell all” – only for it to turn out there’s no all at all?

the administration would be able to turn around and use the absence of evidence as another shield against actual wrong doing reported elsewhere.

phew re: my fuck-today post, my reality check about cross and double cross may be completely upside down right now.

5 Likes

Can you buy it in Canada or Mexico?

English newspapers attempting proper reporting about Spycatcher 's principal allegations were served gag orders; on persisting, they were tried for contempt of court. These charges were eventually dropped. Throughout all this, the book continued to be sold in Scotland; moreover, Scottish newspapers were not subject to any English gag order, and continued to report on the affair. Quantities of the book easily reached English purchasers from Scotland, while other copies were smuggled into England from Australia and elsewhere. A notable television report at the time featured a reporter flying to Australia, and returning to England with ten copies of the book, which he declared to Heathrow airport’s customs officers. After some discussion, he was allowed to take the books into England, as the customs service had not been told to confiscate them.

8 Likes

I am very impressed by Donald Trump. It takes a hell of a person to make an imperialist warmonger like Bolton look (slightly) good(ish).

9 Likes

In the US perhaps - But Spycatcher shows what happens to this kind of censorship in the global age - and that was 1988.

Advanced copies are already out. It is only a matter of time before someone breaks the embargo or posts it on alt.sex.mustache

9 Likes

#trumpisnotwell

1 Like

The devotee of Jeffrey Epstein, the real estate swindler who would ‘perhaps’ date his daughter, and the protégé of Roy Cohn, is worried that John Bolton will reveal his misconduct?

5 Likes

There are First Amendment issues here. However, Bolton was supposed to get pre-publication security clearance for the book, and he started the process, but now he’s going ahead with publishing without getting the clearance. In fairness, the NSC has been known to drag out the process. But, while they may not be able to prevent publication, they can punish Bolton for short-circuiting the process. There is precedent.for this, for example the case of Matt Bissonnette.

1 Like

“Bomb Iran! And buy my book!”

I think you may be spot on with this–folks should probably be prepared for the event that the book comes out and the “misconduct” that Bolton is actually upset with was refusing to go to war with Iran when Bolton wanted it.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting we should expect fuckery from Republicans?

6 Likes

The best of both worlds, then?

3 Likes

I don’t think it was for lack of trying on Trump’s part so much as lack of ability and general laziness. Trump didn’t want the responsibility of handling such a long term action. He doesn’t want a real war with anybody. Doing so would require taking charge and doing something he can’t pawn off on others and shift blame on when things go badly. Plus, the military leadership hates his guts and drags its heels whenever Trump orders them to do anything.

This is a guy who ducked out of his most basic obligations as president in a pandemic. Who blithely killed over 100,000 Americans through sheer negligence. He doesn’t have it in him to act like a leader.

5 Likes

The only goal I have in life with Trump is to see before I die, children in schools being taught what his presidency was really like- an atrocious embarrassment that let hundreds of thousands of Americans die.

And to know that long after I’m dead, centuries later, millennia later, that story is still truthfully told.

Any lying shitweasel that furthers that reality by actually telling the truth, to act like a rabies infected weasel ripping out the jugular of Trump’s alternate reality is only furthering that goal, and makes me happy.

Let them destroy one another as their houses burn to the ground around them. Fuck them both, but may America hear the truth.

5 Likes

Wot? [insert pearl-clutching emoji]

But but but who will represent the Greed Community? the Black-Marketeer Community?
Won’t someone think of their children?

Don’t you think the Greed Community should be treated fairly, after all, they are Amrrkns “just like all of us”?

/s

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Huh. You when else would have been a good time to point out presidential misconduct?

Yeah, Republicans only point out misconduct when they write a book about it afterwards- for 2 reasons-

1. They are complete feckless cowards in the face of objective truth and criticism. Always. Spineless bootlicking fucking cowards. Always.

2. Because #1, and because they have no sense of irony and are greedy af opportunists, they only plea when they think they can make a buck off of it, and make the very rubes they were fucking over pay for it.

Fuck the lot of them, and especially you, John Bolton. I hope you get cancer of the asshole.

3 Likes

That’s a good point… it could be true. But also, there will be some who remain entirely unconvinced no matter what his book or Mary Trump’s book says. They are all in on Trump, which is soooooo fucked up to me. I’m like, have you SEEN him? What’s so great about him?

But still, whatever is in there, advanced copies are out, and that means, the text is already out there… people are already reading it. There isn’t much they can do about that.

You do realize that the president has the power of classification, right? He can make whatever he wants classified, no matter what it is. This is not a neutral tool, it’s a political one that can and has been used to hide crimes before (Nixon).

11 Likes