Trump admits firing Comey to impede investigation into "Trump and Russia"

This is a good point. Is Pick’s disease an ongoing degenerative condition, or is tRump just a giant asshole?

6 Likes

I think this saying is meant to convey that the cover-up is easier to prosecute(?)

In Watergate, at least, the crimes were certainly much greater than the cover-up.

The only way in which the 25th ammendment is easier is that it might make the R’s feel like they aren’t passing judgment on themselves, its just Trump got sick.

Other than that it requires a lot more agreement from republicans for it to happen.

Impeachment means whatever the house says, and if its enough to remove from office is up to the senate.

3 Likes

In my opinion, monumental.

I saw this today. Talks about the “norms” and comparisons to the Saturday Night Massacre and so on: https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000005090665/comey-trump-russia-investigation.html

2 Likes

In between this and Trump meeting with Comey to demand his personal loyalty a couple weeks after the inauguration, things are getting :notes:in-crim-inating!:notes:

Well, shit, he doesn’t understand any other aspect of how democracy and the federal government work, so…

I like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume, that since he’s spent his entire life dealing with New York real estate, there’s something about that he understands. It’s possible I’m being too generous.

Gods, can you even imagine those poor bastards?
“Well, the president went ahead and fired Comey against advice and without telling us. At least we managed to create a little seed of doubt thanks to everyone being on-message, every person in the administration repeating, over and over again, that the firing was entirely due to the recommendations of the -”
“…regardless of recommendation I was going to fire Comey”
“SONOVABITCH!”

But it wasn’t - not really. He didn’t get the popular vote. He didn’t get anywhere near the support Obama got. It’s eating him up. This is also why he’s doubling down on the “voter fraud” thing and appointed someone to investigate who is sure to make some up to justify voter suppression.

Well, he’s been a narcissist, sociopath and idiot his whole life. Many people talk about how much more coherent he was “as a businessman,” i.e. in previous years. Looking at older interviews, he speaks quite differently. It does seem like something has changed. Possibly just that he’s so out of his depth, he can’t even bullshit properly anymore. Whatever’s wrong with Trump, the problem is he was suffering from it when he got elected…

13 Likes

It’s monumental, but not in a “this is the end of Trump” way.

More of a “one more step towards making the Trumpist takeover irreversible by legal means” sort of thing.

I get that this is not a comforting message. It shouldn’t be; this is a situation that is genuinely as bad as it appears to be.

9 Likes

I just need to find all those people who said we were “overreacting” and it “won’t be THAT bad” on November 9th.

10 Likes

Thank you. As an aside, I just realized I’m exactly as old as when Nixon fired Archibald Cox.

5 Likes

If we assume, for the sake of argument, the following:

• Polls will likely never dip below the hardcore 30-35% of the US populace not supporting Trump
  • Certain Republicans will likely never abandon him

Then, what irreversible legal means will occur? Do we genuinely have faith that the anyone will be able to conduct the investigation that such evidence will emerge?

4 Likes

As in “neutering all legal avenues to remove a President” rather than “establishing the legality of the TrumpGOP”.

The only restraints left are GOP internal politics and the judiciary. The Gorsuch appointment largely removed the judiciary as a threat, unless you imagine Roberts/Thomas/etc suddenly developing a conscience.

Trump may be taken down by a coup within the GOP, but that is likely to make things worse rather than better. Competent fascists are worse than clumsy ones.

From outside the GOP, the options are rapidly shrinking to general strike or civil war.

3 Likes

Wait, what? You haven’t aged since 1973, and you just discovered your immortality? TELL US YOUR SECRET METHUSELAH

11 Likes

I think you just removed some of the sticks I was grasping whilst in my quicksand, but I really appreciate the perspective. It’s difficult, you know, perspective on just how bad it is. I live with Mr. Jilly who tends toward the histrionic about politics on a good day, so between that and trying to parse what I read/see/hear, I came here to determine what people think about the gravity.

4 Likes

What kills me is that everything you said was predicted by pretty much everyone who voted for someone other than Trump. So why couldn’t the Republicans in Congress and business leaders see that? I mean, some of them did, but most of them just held their noses and helped the bastard win, when this all was an entirely predictable outcome. I mean, we all pretty much predicted this would be an epic train wreck, and it is. So … why couldn’t so many people see the train wreck coming like we could?

6 Likes

Wait, I’m even older. I was born at the end of 1972, so, yes, 44 years, but even earlier. To be fair, the firing of Archibald Cox is not my usual metric for aging. More like, how many times I say “get off my lawn”!

5 Likes

Go on…

Say what you will about Obama, at least he knew his grammar and formed complete sentences. This is just embarrassing.

6 Likes

Not exactly. He’s always been a boastful, buffoonish bully and likely a narcissist, but until relatively recently, he used to be at least coherent.

It’s entirely possible that this is just him being completely out of his depth, under more stress and closer scrutiny than ever before in his life. But it’s also possible that his brain is going to start leaking out of his ears any moment now.

12 Likes

Why not both?

Getting more serious for a moment, Pick’s is actually a slow ongoing degenerative condition.

My mother was probably suffering from it for a decade or maybe more, during which we kids were going “OK she’s getting a bit weird with the collecting/hoarding and compulsive shopping and stuff, but we should give her some slack.” It wasn’t until after she had a stroke and was obviously disoriented that we took her to a neurologist who gave us a diagnosis and said it had probably been developing for a long time.

7 Likes

Oh, we passed mere ‘embarrassment’ ages ago; this is epic next level mortification territory now…

6 Likes

It is Stream of Conscioushite.

4 Likes