Trump admits firing Comey to impede investigation into "Trump and Russia"

Is this a Marshall McLuhan type deal; the cover-up is the crime?

3 Likes

Thank you for that.

5 Likes

I see. We’re on the pain train.

And I’m totally not sorry for a terrible pun.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s about it.

5 Likes

Maybe they did know that it will happen and still supported him. Maybe they wanted this disaster. Maybe they were getting the popcorn ready.

8 Likes

I am ready! Witness me, shiny and chrome!

4 Likes

at the time there was a lot of talk about the republican party splitting into two. the tea party ( supporting trump ) and everyone else.

now that he is president, you see the old school republicans silent on most of what 45 wants while they ( ryan, mcconnell, etc ) push for their own things.

the healthcare bill has little of what trump said he wanted. and now he claims it as a win.

the republicans and business​ folks are happy that some interests overlap. but, i’m sure they’re as scared as any one that the ship is going down.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Increasingly I find fairly intelligent stuff on Vice. It may be aimed at the younger generation, but I guess I’m in my second childhood. And when they advocate things like intelligent laws on drugs I support them even though the strongest recreational drug I take is caffeine.
Unfortunately a lot of the former fairly authoritative news sources seem to have become fossilised. The journalists and editors are too firmly planted in the system and (in the UK especially) they are part themselves of the upper middle class and share its values. I stopped buying The Guardian when it printed an advertising supplement which included holidays in the Occupied Territories; C P Scott must have been spinning in his grave so fast there was a risk of a black hole forming.

The question is whether the under-30 generation is prepared to go to the barricades for their future.

7 Likes

And is a Constitutional lawyer. And is married to someone of equal intelligence who also has a social conscience. And…but I see there is not room on the margin on this paper to provide a sufficient list of differences.

19 Likes

Really?! Oh dear.

I’d have stopped too. That’s a whole higher level of indifference to Palestinian suffering.

5 Likes

It’s actually difficult to even read. The closest I can get, is to imagine a new person spawning whenever he says “yaknow”.

You’ll end up with 20 “people”, but it’ll actually make more sense.

2 Likes

Right, and that’s my point. We could see that this ship going down was inevitable. Why the hell did they get on board? I don’t like Paul Ryan, but he’s not stupid. Misinformed and selfish, yes, but not stupid.

3 Likes

And the number of people I knew that held that against him.

“He talks fancy. You can’t trust him.”

9 Likes

They’re riding the tiger. They make me think of Londo Mollari, in a way. Or maybe the Centauri court once Carthagia was made emperor.

3 Likes

What? They’ve got prehensile penises and cheat at cards?

2 Likes

Wouldn’t rule it out.

3 Likes

The thought of Steve Bannon’s head on a table in a back room is comforting. Although a pike…

6 Likes

I think the original in this was C S Lewis’s That Hideous Strength. Lewis was not a fan of modern science, and in his book unwitting scientists are guided to provide a conduit for the forces of evil to try to take over England. It is, in places, quite a good satire on the British upper classes and the inability of academics to withstand the offer of money and status. But there’s a whole lot of junk in there too and it doesn’t read too well nowadays. (Nor to my mind does Heinlein and for similar reasons.)

However, there’s a detached functioning head in there along with a psychopathic coterie who think they are in charge but are in fact being used by the forces of evil, so the parallels are obvious.

3 Likes

One of my favorite films is Primary Colors which is a not so veiled look into the Bill Clinton campaign in 1992. Pretty epic stuff.