Trump begs Mexico president: 'I have to have Mexico pay for the wall – I have to'

Me neither.

Trump’s support was down to 33% last I heard. As these transcripts get circulated, watch for more borderline supports to conclude his tough-guy pose is cynical act, and quietly edge away.

4 Likes

The funny thing being that Putin’s actual job in the KGB was keeping an eye on the Stasi in Dresden. Quis custodiet &c.

2 Likes

I almost wonder if this phone call was the driving force behind his comment that being president was “a lot harder” that he had thought it would be

3 Likes

You’re right. And yet, how can there be more evidence? It has been completely obvious since long before he started campaigning. Can it be more than 100% obvious? We’ll find out.

2 Likes

Trump can hold on to his core supporters by showing off a giant novelty check from BANCO PRIMO MEXICO to AMERICA with “WALL - PAID IN FULL” in the memo line.

14 Likes

I built a truly great company worth many billions of dollars. That is a big part of the reason I was elected. As President, I can make far better deals with foreign countries than Congress.

4 Likes

When I was little I always imagined celebrities had these ENORMOUS checkbooks that were just impossible to carry around

2 Likes

That… is disturbingly plausible. I suspect the only reason 45 hasn’t taken this course of action yet is that it hasn’t occurred to him.

2 Likes

What, more of him? Like an army of Mini-Mes that look like bloated Oompa-Loompas with a bad hair day?
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR How horrifying!

1 Like

Is this the part where Trump makes such good deals for us?

2 Likes

15 Likes

The dude seems to genuinely believe that international treaties work the same way as private contracts – i.e. that you get what you want and then renege on the deal, inviting the other side to either accept 30c in the dollar or go to court.
Treaties are not really open to ‘renegotiation’ in the same way… you can abrogate them, and then try to negotiate new treaties, with partners who now know that US promises are totally worthless.

6 Likes
3 Likes

1 Like

Meh. The East German government had agency, more so than much of the rest of the Eastern Bloc, because they were in such a strategically/symbolically important location. As far as I know, the Soviets did not order the wall built the East German government did.

3 Likes

So he threatened to give them what they want, unless they give him what he wants?

“So, let me understand your negotiating position: you will stop calling me UNLESS I give into your demands? I think you have this negotiating thing backwards.”

3 Likes

And that is from before Trump.

The hostility to undocumented immigrants isn’t about “defending the border”. It’s about attacking Hispanic people who are already in the US and have been for many years.

11 Likes

…they began to operate what they called ‘The Operation’… They would select a victim and then threaten to beat him up if he paid the so-called protection money. Four months later they started another operation which the called ‘The Other Operation’. In this racket they selected another victim and threatened not to beat him up if he didn’t pay them. One month later they hit upon ‘The Other Other Operation’. In this the victim was threatened that if he didn’t pay them, they would beat him up. This for the Piranha brothers was the turning point

14 Likes

And that’s why Trump & friends’ idea of settling international trade disputes in US courts is a non-starter, and Canada walked from the deal the last time the US insisted.

1 Like