Trump campaign chief: it's not lying if he didn't know whether it was true or not when he said it

Trump’s lies are all about making Trump look good. He’ll say two completely contradictory things, yes, and both might be equally stupid and divorced from reality, but they’re always intended to bolster his own image (or at least his own ego) at the moment he says them. That, more than anything else, is the real through line.

4 Likes

I think we should just stick to calling Trump a liar when he lies. There is no need to dumb it down to “bullshit”. The appropriate term for Trump is Pathological Liar, IMO, not the more benign sounding “bullshitter”, the latter being the term we give to Cliff at the Cheers bar, not the the term appropriate for GOP candidate running for what is likely the most powerful elected position on earth.

4 Likes

Thing is, Trump is running one of those cons where he doesn’t hide the fact that he’s a con artist. The key is just to convince the mark that they are not the mark, but a co-conspirator.

12 Likes

There is a great BBC version of Alex Cox’s “Repoman” that has been redubbed throughout with, “Melonfarmer”.

5 Likes

I am waiting for when Google’s AI red flags any links which appear to contain falsehoods. Soon after this its army of killer robots will go after serial internet liars, and shortly after that there’s going to be an awful lot of elections.

3 Likes

But nobody left to vote in them.

2 Likes

This is hardly the first time this particular relationship between Trump’s statements and reality has been commented on. Trump clearly does not actually care if what he says is true or not. Hell, he doesn’t even care if it’s a comprehensible English sentence. But to have the campaign manager say, as an excuse, it’s not a lie, because he spoke without knowing the facts, so it’s okay! That’s kinda out there.

2 Likes

I think this is called “a distinction without a difference”. Libel laws include both deliberate misrepresentation or “reckless disregard for the truth”,

2 Likes

I’ve made jokes in the past about becoming an expatriate online, but if “America” elects Trump, I may seek a saner domicile. Current Trump supporters need to start thinking seriously, not with fear and aggression and anger, but with compassion for their planet and great, great country, as it is now channeling Mr. Rogers, for we live in the greatest society on earth, ever. Let’s show the world why that’s true. No more lies. Lead by example. Or GTFO. I will. Will you?

“”"" it’s not a lie , it is just a mistake “”"""
*** that’s not a bug !! that’s a feature ***

3 Likes

America may be a lie, but it’s the best human lie on the planet, yeah?

That’s fitting since Trump took the job of running for president to make a quick buck.

Also Trump may be Jack the Ripper and the Loch Ness monster. I’ll say it because I really don’t know.

2 Likes

That’s to ward off copypasta spamming from new accounts. Stick around a bit and post a few more times, and then you’ll be able to link to your heart’s content.

Welcome to the BBS, by the way!

5 Likes

Release. Taxes. Trunk. Period.

Here’s the thing: most of Trunk supporters look past his corruption, why? Guilt, maybe? Yo, for the record, if you elect that defunct Trunk, it’s on you. And I have an elephant memory, man.

3 Likes

It’s like the recent “honest ponzis” with Bitcoin or otherwise… people LOVE thinking themselves brilliant when they’re being hosed and manipulated. It’s always some OTHER gal/guy who’s the mark.

2 Likes

Why? People don’t want their politicians to be honest.

Technically, yes.

It counts as not caring what it true. According to philosopher Harry Frankfurt, that isn’t a lie, it is bullshit.

2 Likes

Where?

1 Like

I saw it years ago on Alex Cox’s BBC TV show where he showed cult movies. I think I remember him saying he actually preferred the “melonfarmer” cut as it made the swearing seem more purposeful; it also used “flipping” a lot too.

There was also a David Lynch BBC TV edit of “Blue Velvet” from the same series, where it was actually a bit longer, more violent and sweary than the normal cinema release :smiley: Ah, the good old days of TV.

1 Like

The first time I saw Blue Velvet, it was a TV edit where they’d gone through and overdubbed every instance of Dennis Hopper saying “fuck” (i.e. about a third of his dialogue) with “freak”.

Strangely, it actually made his character more frightening.

4 Likes