Trump hotels, faced with massive declines in bookings, rebrand as "Scion Hotels"

That would be “Cylon”, not “Scion”…

9 Likes

IIRC they were surprised by the success of the xB. They thought the xA would be the better seller. I really liked the original one, before it got big and fat and lost all its charm.

2 Likes

Putin on the Ritz

6 Likes

(I never tire of this one.)

15 Likes

I figured it was Scion as in “spoiled rich kid.” No?

6 Likes

Whatever you say about Putin, he can’t be blamed for Trump. Trump was being Trump while Putin was still training as a lawyer.

3 Likes

The Church of Scientology likes to take over empty hotels. The Church of Scion-tology can do the same.

9 Likes

Yuge.

It looks like a nod to Rococo, which got a sad shake of the head in response.

4 Likes

Doesn’t the term ‘scion’ tend to start getting bandied about when a given dynasty has made the (tragically common) mistake of running out of talent well before it runs out of ambition?

12 Likes

Giovanni Agnelli was born in 1866. Are you thinking of his grandson Gianni?

Stupid mistake. My face is red. Rosso corsa in fact. And I once worked for a supplier to FIAT too.

In your defense, Gianni’s full name was Giovanni like his grandfather. However, I don’t know I would have said there was “not much you can say really bad about” Gianni. He seems actually to have been a lot like Trump…if Trump was actually a successful businessman, was good-looking, had good fashion sense, and attracted beautiful women that he didn’t have to buy.

Given Rococo’s…well earned…reputation for good taste, restraint, and elegant minimalism; it’s almost impressive to be able to produce something unacceptably degenerate even by its standards.

3 Likes

Needs more gold and statues.

I just think if you’re going to go Rococo, make it truly vomit-inducing. This looks too much like a hotel lobby.

6 Likes

Holden borrowed a couple of platforms back in the day, and heavily re-engineered them. But they’ve done a hell of a lot of stuff from the ground up, including the last two generations of the large rear-drive platform which was exported around the world and re-badged as Chevys and Vauxhalls. Not to mention the 308 (later 304) V8, which was a superior engine to Chevy’s V8.

Ford Australia also did a huge amount of original engineering too, taking the American falcon from the sixties and updating it to the present to become one of the best-value large rear-drive cars in the world, and the engine descended from the original Falcon six can be tuned to pump out 1000hp.

Sadly, those days seem to be over as our car industry is now going down the gurgler.

About time people caught up with the dictionary…
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/trumpery?s=t

2 Likes

…and had a positive outcome for the Italian economy. In other words, not really like Trump at all.
My experience of Italy was in the days when it was run by a lawyer, an engineer and a farmer. Those were the days…before the politicians once again turned it into a dysfunctional mess.

1 Like

I like Rococo, in small doses. Does this make me a bad person?
What I hate with a passion is American hotel “good taste”, and houses with fake Palladian arcades. I’d rather have bad taste that somebody cared about than something designed by a cost accountant and a structural engineer.

1 Like

Hotel design is something special. If done right(ideally experienced under the effects of jet lag), it achieves such a sublime banality that you lose all sense of place and time and feel as though you are nowhere, could be anywhere; and it wouldn’t make the slightest difference.

Like a business-class version of something you’d normally need nontrivial practice with eastern mysticism; or dubiously legal drugs, to achieve. An impersonal and uniformly lit oneness with absolutely any city in the developed world.

Not the good kind of special; but a kind of special.

8 Likes

Catholic churches are known for their humble taste /s

3 Likes