Trump hotels, faced with massive declines in bookings, rebrand as "Scion Hotels"

Is that what they call the “foreign intelligence training institute”?

edit.

Yes. Yes it is.

State Security has a whole network of schools at various levels to support the discharge of its responsibilities for counterintelligence, domestic operations, investigation, and the development of foreign-language capabilities. They include a special school for security personnel in the Satellite countries and China, a school for sergeants attached to the State Security staff, a variety of technical schools for all ranks, a Higher School for Investigators, and the Leningrad Institute of Foreign Languages. Here we shall consider only its main staff institute, the Higher School, which operates under law institute cover and is actually so accredited.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/kent-csi/vol3no1/html/v03i1a08p_0001.htm

4 Likes

There’s a “Trump Tower” about to open in downtown Vancouver. We’re all expecting the name change to come soon. It MUST be a drag on sales. Nice enough building (if you like that sort of thing), though. Downtown Vancouver is growing up.

3 Likes

Deflection, that is. It makes no difference whether Putin was in law school or KGB school, he was still in school*. The point is that Trump is older by a few years than Putin and took over the family firm at the age of 25, so his Trumpishness was being given full rein [note correct spelling] while Putin was still learning which end of the cosh was which.
Of course Putin was a KGB man, but he did not aspire to be more until Trump was already revealing the full extent of his personality. My point is that this association of Trump (or Clinton) with Putin is very childish - foreign policy is a lot more than the attitude to Russia. All we can say at the moment is that Trump - who has no foreign policy experience - is all over the place while Clinton is Republican-grade hawkish.

*My ex-SIS contact once remarked that there is a difference between the CIA and the KGB: the KGB thought that internally it was supporting law enforcement, whereas the CIA is concerned solely with spying and dirty ops and leaves law enforcement to the FBI. So in a way your observation is unsurprising; as I understand it all FBI officers have to qualify as lawyers. Personally I would be equally unhappy if I received the attention of any of them.

[edit - incidentally there could be an ulterior motive to the paper you cite. One assumes that all intelligence services have similar training for different roles. The author seems to be emphasising just how high the academic levels are to rise in the KGB, and how much training is needed. I suspect that, as with other assessments of Soviet-era capability, this is a bit of special pleading for more funds and better pay to recruit a higher class of graduate to combat the Soviet menace.]

1 Like

I’m sure Trump’s base will surge in to fill the gaps, provided he can compete with Motel 6’s biggest rival, a Wal-Mart parking lot

2 Likes

Ever wondered what might happen if Trump bought out the Ritz?

True. But I was thinking the re-branding would work because they shared the same design asthetic.

5 Likes

Here’s a good read about Trump’s Panama City tower. I know some people who own a condo there due to poor judgment on the part of an estate executor and confirm that it’s a big mess.

1 Like

That design aesthetic predates the Soviet Union, it’s basically Tsarist Russian Orthodox. I have an illustrated copy of Pushkin’s Tales - as I expect quite a lot of people have - which shows similar backgrounds going into the distant past. There’s usually more red in it; it is not coincidence that in Russian the words for “red” and “beautiful” share the same root, kras.

Some years ago I missed the chance to buy a Brezhnev-era Russian President watch. Had the KGB ever wished to assassinate a professor of aesthetics untraceably, they could just have arranged for him or her to see it close up. Heart attack, or suicide.

Conclusion: Trump isn’t channelling the Tsars. Not enough red in the colour scheme.

4 Likes

My comments were intended to be taken as satire.
A little Trump, a little Putin and a lot of gold leaf.

2 Likes

I never got as far as satire in Eng. Lit, the course stopped at irony.

2 Likes

It’s not when a person considers all labor expendable.

4 Likes

True dat.

3 Likes

I otherwise agree, I just consider “tone-deaf” to better represent someone who on some level cares what others think of their message versus someone proud of their hatemongerin’ and incorporating their family values into a personal brand.

1 Like

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. Good distinction, there!

2 Likes

Well, the Scion car brand took a real hit from the recession. Meanwhile the scion of hotels tuned those lemons into tax free lemonade and bankruptcy.

5 Likes

I thought it was partly that Toyota aimed it (as they thought) at younger buyers, whereas younger buyers tend to want large and cheap. I once read a piece by a marketing guy who said that the iQ should have been blinged a bit and sold as a Lexus because it was ideal for the retirement brigade who just wanted space for two people to go to the shops/beach and be sure of finding a parking space, whereas no self respecting younger person would buy a small two seater because how would you get four people in to share the fuel?

It’s amazing how with so much expertise marketing people get things utterly wrong; who would have thought that the kind of people who create the image of hotel chains would want them associated with a sexist, arrogant, orange bigot? Perhaps someone didn’t do due diligence.

They blinged it a bit and sold it as an Aston Martin.
(although that was a scam so AM could meet fleet emission limits)

1 Like

Damn that’s a small car. No way I’m fitting in that thing.

And if you don’t like the service, don’t pay!

1 Like

They’d have to go at least ten to a room to afford it.

2 Likes