Trump tweets anti-Jewish slur: 'Great Disloyalty'

Yes, the “Self Hating Jew” trope I mentioned above.

4 Likes

tumblr_inline_pred4vxp1e1sviztv_1280

13 Likes

I understood Trump to mean that Jewish Democrats were being disloyal to the state of Israel. Which is… not better.

8 Likes

We already have the first camps albeit not currently for Jews. The wolf isn’t at the door. It’s sniffing around the parlor and peeing on the coatrack

21 Likes

What does gaslighting have to do with anti-semitism? Btw, most analysis suggests that Trump is talking about loyalty to Israel, not the USA.

“At a time when anti-Semitic incidents have increased - due to the president’s emboldening of white nationalism - Trump is repeating an anti-Semitic trope. If this is about Israel, then Trump is repeating a dual loyalty claim, which is a form of anti-Semitism. If this is about Jews being ‘loyal’ to him, then Trump needs a reality check,” said Halie Soifer, executive director of the Jewish Democratic Council of America.
And maybe you missed the rest of his speech:
“Five years ago, the concept of even talking about this – even three years ago – of cutting off aid to Israel because of two people that hate Israel and hate Jewish people – I can’t believe we’re even having this conversation,” Trump added. “Where has the Democratic Party gone? Where have they gone where they’re defending these two people over the State of Israel?”

He’s talking about loyalty to Israel. That’s not any better

19 Likes

I interpreted your earlier post as a misdirection, thus gaslighting for Biff. I’m still not sure that’s incorrect.

12 Likes

How does that position refute the idea that Trump is trotting out the “dual loyalty” canard again?

18 Likes

I prefer to consider what he thinks he said. Which isn’t that at all.

9 Likes

Native WVian, where Sen Robt Byrd was an active Klan member into, what, the 1950s?

6 Likes

I did not know this. So your anecdotal understanding of the education system should not be confused for a universal one.

Thanks to everyone for the background and history links, however!

23 Likes

So, the story so far: Trump continuously hammers on Omar as being antisemitic, for the “terrible things” she said. Those “things” being comments supposedly implying Jews supporting Israel have divided loyalties, alluding to that old slur (when actually she was specifically referring to some Christian conservatives, but hey…). Trump then explicitly says that Jews are “disloyal” to Israel if they vote for Democrats. Because Democrats are “antisemitic” for supposedly implying that Jews are loyal to Israel and OH MY FUCKING GOD MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE

If the Democrats don’t jump on this thing like a fucking bouncy castle, they’re idiots.

Yeah, because it’s a combination of pantomime outrage and non-issue-specific hatred looking for an excuse (that they don’t understand). It’s true for every issue that Trump made a big deal about (and which turned out to be projection on his part). I mean, the whole “Hillary’s emails” thing is clearly not actually understood or cared about by either Trump or his followers, given the egregious use of unsecured, private communication channels by those in the Trump White House, and the lack of outcry. “Drain the swamp”? Trump creates the most corrupt administration in modern history (at least) and suddenly the meaning of “drain the swamp” magically becomes something else.

Well, as long as they can keep working for him. After all, his position is that “The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.” (Antisemitic stereotypes? He’s full of them!)

I had the same experience, educated in California. (Granted, my high school US history teacher was a raving reactionary, and we never really got to 20th century history, but that doesn’t explain the lacks up until that point.) I know far, far more about US history from self-education than from school.

Not so much. (The actual likely etymology is kind of random.)

18 Likes

Huh? It doesn’t refute it, that’s the point I was making. He’s accusing Jews of the anti-Semitic trope of dual loyalty, by saying that American Jews who vote Democrat aren’t being loyal to Israel.

As opposed to the thesis of this article, which is that Trump was accusing Jews of being disloyal to America/Trump by voting democrat, cuz Democrats hate America dontcha know.

2 Likes

I’d never heard that explanation until I saw a recipe for (what the cookbook otherwise referred to as) “Without Papers Salad.”

As a non-Christian I’ll say it “If you’re Christian, and you vote for tRump, you’re disloyal”.

I mean, the orange shitgibbon is about as far from the actual teachings of Jesus as is possible (And I’m not arguing about 'Murican jesus, I mean if you actually read scripture helping the poor, turning the other cheek, “what you do to the least of my children, you do to me” Jesus)

Actually, I’ll go one step further. If you’re a sentient being, and you vote for tRump, you’re being disloyal to sentience and yourself.

21 Likes

5 Likes

Indeed! And this isn’t the first time he’s made it clear that he sees American Jews as subjects of the Israeli government that just happen to be spending time here. After the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting he made appearances with the Israeli ambassador rather than community leaders or local officials, despite the fact that these were American citizens gunned down in America. More than a few American Jews noticed and got pretty miffed about that.

14 Likes

Not to mention the time he referred to Netanyahu as “your Prime Minister” when addressing a group of Jewish Republicans.

19 Likes

I don’t see how it could be considered misdirection. Let me spell it out.

Disloyalty to the USA and dual loyalty are NOT the same thing. Trump likes to accuse Democrats of disloyalty because in his tiny mind, being against such classic American ideals as an assault rifle in every kitchen, xenophobia, building walls, people dying because they cant afford medicine, and putting children in cages is being disloyal. That doesn’t mean Democrats are loyal to anyone else, just that they aren’t good fascist Americans.

Dual loyalty on the other hand is the anti-semitic canard that Jews are loyal to Israel as well as to the USA, and thus can not be entirely trusted to act in the best interests of the USA.

Do you see the difference?

3 Likes

This says it in a nutshell. Really. It’s a very dangerous power to wield, and we should not underestimate it. Doing such has caused tremendous problems for people, and continues to do so in many places.

17 Likes