Is it john birch gold?

20 Likes

tv land GIF by YoungerTV

17 Likes
15 Likes

That’s funny. He IS rude and nasty.

10 Likes

15 Likes

It might be me (ADD) but the way T-RUMP says “ba lack” sends me right over the edge…its rude and triggering.

8 Likes

That’s just epenthesis; in this case a sort of ghost vowel inserted into consonant clusters to make them easier to pronounce. /bə.læk/ instead of /blæk/.

I don’t think that’s meant to be triggering or insulting, it’s just a feature of his pronunciation.

18 Likes

THANK YOU! I learned a new word today and its application. I still want to slap his mouth, however.

:grin:

20 Likes

the OM is too predictable at this point. i knew he would respond with “nasty” and he didn’t disappoint.

i wish more journalists were like the ones asking tough questions and not worry about losing access.

7 Likes

Perfect.

21 Likes

that’s really cool, thanks!

the only part i disagree on is that i think he treats it as a special word. his brain slows down as he says it. the way some people might slightly lower their voice when they say black

( even in that clip, it seems he only does it sometimes, like when he starts a sentence especially. )

16 Likes

Also, his false superiority of “acing” his cognitive test (twice!) with her failure to pass the bar exam on the first try.

30 Rock Eye Roll GIF by TV Land Classic

23 Likes

Contextual phonetics: at the beginning of a sentence, it’s always a consonant cluster, and might need some tweaking to get his mouth around it. If it’s in the middle of a sentence, it might be easier to pronounce if the cluster is sort of re-analysed into different syllables. Where you might say “ablate” /æb.leit/, but have difficulty with “blade” /bə.leid/, then in the middle of a sentence you might pronounce “a blade” as /æb.leid/ instead of trying to say /æ.bleid/ and not need the epenthesis.

Which is to say: the phonetics of how things are actually said in real life instead of how we think they’re said in theory is complicated, really dependent on context, and sometimes harder than you think.

Everyone does a bit of epenthesis or elision in regular speech, no matter how carefully pronounced. That’s not one of the things I’m going to hold against TFG, when there’s so much else of deeper import to worry about.

I don’t really care about the fine details of exactly how he’s pronouncing “I’m going to end democracy”, when what he’s saying should be taking all our attention.

29 Likes

Sort of like how he says “chaii-na”.

16 Likes

He always says that he “aced” the cognitive test. Not “passed”, because that’s not good enough for him, and also because he keeps using the same words and phrases in a way that might be symptomatic of “cognitive decline”.

21 Likes

All his lab tests came back positive too! Remember that one?

21 Likes

His lab tests didn’t just “come back”.
A big, strong, veteran doctor delivered them in person, handing the documents over with tears in his eyes, asking to shake Trump’s hand because in all his decades-long medical practice he had never seen such phantastic test results, ever.

34 Likes

GUEST_adaa2287-33e5-4eb2-b5c6-ec97642e92e2

19 Likes