Tucker Carlson thought anti-elite historian would be an easy interview, but ended up telling him "go fuck yourself"

TV news in the UK is actually held to standards and required to be factual and not misleading, isn’t it?

12 Likes

Upton Sinclair said it better: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!”

Actually I guess Sinclair’s formulation is the mirror image of the Chomsky quote, but they end up the same place.

17 Likes

Obviously. My question was about this:

“I called him a moron and then I modified that word with a vulgar Anglo-Saxon term that is also intelligible in Dutch.”

That’s a very weird, off-topic thing to touch on while excusing an outburst.

5 Likes

I think Chomsky would agree with Sinclair, it’s just that Chomsky has identified the mechanism that creates that result. Sinclair made an observation. Chomsky has a hypothesis.

16 Likes

Well it must be, given his view of the dissonance in his position that Bregman pointed out. He must think he’s very smart to not let the dissonance get to him.

1 Like

Tucker: Create Strawman, furrow brow, destroy strawman, TA DAH!
tuckercarlson_padnos

8 Likes

If you watched the video folks, then what you witnessed was a talk show host encountering, for possibly the very first time in his dear little life, actual talk.

7 Likes

Corn holin’ corn pone opinions https://www.jstor.org/stable/27747173?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

2 Likes

Its so true! He’s got that perpetually furrowed brow and he’s always doing a It seems like what you’re say is… and If I understand this correctly… That is, could The Liberals possibly be doing something so stupid? Why would anyone, even the stupid Liberals do that? He’s never heard this before. This is all so new. The Liberals have done it again and done something so outrageous and ridiculous, he just has to have it completely spelled out to him.

3 Likes

Bregman did get one thing wrong though, the US has been pretty aggressively going after tax haven countries for the past 20 years. The US collects taxes on global earnings and as such has been negotiating treaties that require foreign banks to report on US customers. That’s why foreign banks either charge Americans an annual fee, require an enormous minimum balance, or simply refuse to work with Americans. Belize, the Caymans, and the other famous tax havens are no longer tax havens for Americans. The places that are still tax havens for Americans are mostly places that are dangerous AF. The US these days is generally considered a tax haven. That’s why there weren’t many Americans exposed in the Panama Papers. There isn’t much incentive to hide your money when you aren’t getting taxed very hard. Now Europe otoh is a different story as are US corporate tax haven schemes.

6 Likes

It’s the only thing he could think of to avoid repeating the phrase “go fuck yourself”, would be my guess. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

the thing is that if you believed something different line means a different thing to those doing the sitting, They see it as an affirmation of the correctness of their position, because as even their opposition admits if they believed something different they wouldn’t have power and power results from rightness.

That clicking sound you hear is Tuck googling “corn pone.” He needs to stay in touch with the common man, y’know. Maybe he’ll share some cheesy grits with Mitt.

1 Like

I’m so intelligent I can insult people in multiple languages!

2 Likes

Looks like the face for a Preparation H commercial.

6 Likes

It only matters that you can’t immediately prove otherwise. This is not honest discourse after all.

From what I have seen, most US politicians and members of the commentariat really do not seem to understand that US breadcasts and, gasp, even newspaper articles can cross US borders.

Madelaine Albreight’s interview with 60 Minutes, Hillary Clinton’s statement about the death of Gadaffi, John Kerry’s ability to agree to one thing in Moscow (complete with press conferences ) and then say exactly the opposite when he got of the plane in Washington, the US story about the N.Korea–US agreement between Kim and Trump. And so on.

I really do not think that a lot of people in the US appreciate that other nations can read and listen to what is said in the USA.

And in English, a lot of people around the world read/write/speak English. I noticed the other day that the Foreign Minister of Iran attended some highschool (maybe Gr. 12?) and did his BA, MA and Ph.D in the USA.

15 Likes

GAWDAMIT, lady, that was a master-work post!

4 Likes

Quit spying on us! /s

1 Like

I wonder if they bothered at all to try to get him to agree to a pre-interview?

1 Like