Vice Presidential candidates debate, 1 Oct 2024

I don’t think this debate is going to change anyone’s mind, and if there really are any undecideds, I suspect they’ve tuned out already.

12 Likes

Vance is also taking notes, I guess he’s low IQ as well.

9 Likes

I don’t expect anyone undecided is going be influenced by the VP debate, no. Motivating people to get out the vote (and not messing up so much that people decide to stay home) is still important, though.

8 Likes

Cool. Trickle down economics works… I guess?

4 Likes

No.

(Yes, full sentence.)

10 Likes

Vance is claiming Trump is the common sense choice, as opposed to Walz? Holy moly.

14 Likes

I feel that Vance is just dancing around the ring while Walz just keeps jabbing his face.

4 Likes

Aaaaaaaand now the microphones are muted

CBS: Harris is going to increase deficit (acc Wharton ?!?!?!?) re tax credits

W: housing is more than a mere asset; tax cuts to middle class, now mentions the same for MN residents; T gave tax cuts to rich, now $8T deficit… ask the wealthiest to pay their fair share

CBS: T “plan” will increase deficit (acc Wharton) by 5%, how do you respond?

V: is blaming Harris for cost of food and housing increases, and making southern border open; T’s plan “is a record” and T’s economic policy generated highest take-home pay… “look at the record”

says Tim again

is back to the whole take-home pay in 2017… wot? no talk of COVID and what happened then? “DT will bring commonsense to this country”

W: now on the COVID angle attack; per V, “economists can’t be trusted” “scientists can’t be trusted” “only T can be trusted”

V: “trust the experts” is wrong; America less self-reliant is wrong; DT had the “wisdom and courage” “we’re bringing manufacturing back”

mentions his kids
in the middle of his response?

CBS: why do voters trust DT more?

W: I’m a union guy; DT created the largest deficit with China; W in agreement with V on “a lot of this”; we’re in agreement; DT only talks about it

V: calls “Tim” after calling “Governor”; is claiming W is trying argue things both ways; “I was raised by a woman who went into medical debt to put food on the table”

11 Likes

For good or for ill this debate actually reminds me of the debates from the pre-Trump era. Lots of lies and distortions from the Republican candidate but it’s still a debate between two people who can form complete sentences. In that sense it’s probably a bad thing in that it will help normalize the Trump/Vance ticket.

17 Likes

I’m watching Robert Reich. He’s pausing the event and fact-checking the shit out of Vance and all his Trumpian talking points.

21 Likes

Vance sounds like the frat guy nobody likes but is in as a legacy.

15 Likes

That’s great, but most people aren’t watching the debate that way

9 Likes

Walz needs to mention that married hetero couples who WANT to have a family can’t afford to have children, so it’s not just desperate unmarried women who magically will be happy giving birth if somehow they could afford it (which Republicans have NEVER done anything to support).

10 Likes

W: talking abt his childhood, his military service, his teaching job, started a program to take students to China; “my community knows who I am”… “I’m not perfect”

V: smirking and creepy

W: I guarantee you I wouldn’t start a trade war or praise Xi Jinping; I learned a lot when I was in Hong Kong and China during democracy protests

CBS: quoting V “T is unfit”; if you become VP, why should America believe that you will give advice he needs to hear, not wants to hear

V: is claiming that bc T delivered for American people; is blaming Congress for T’s failures to govern during T’s term; Biden continues T’s tariffs

TOPIC: abortion

CBS: You believe that abortion in the 9th month is ok.

W: That’s not what is in the bill. Is now citing Amanda Zaworski’s medical catastrophe in TX. Hadley Duvall, r----d and pregnant. So in MN we made sure to put women in charge of their healthcare in MN. Maternal mortality in TX skyrocketing. We trust women. We trust doctors.

CBS: will you create a federal pregnancy monitoring agency?

V: is citing friend who had an abortion; earn USians trust back; I want us to support fertility treatments, give women more options. Cite’s T’s “states decision” makes the most sense.

Weird.

W: Amber Thurman. Georgia. Died on the way to getting medical care. “How can we say as a nation the right to control your body is determined by geography?”

CBS: you (V) supported a federal ban at 15 weeks; why did you change your position?

V: I never said that. State of OH referendum voted against “my position.” “So many young women would love to have families.” We have to do a better job.

W: We are pro-women. We are pro-freedom. Is citing MN lowest teen pregnancy rates. We are top-3 state for best place to raise children. Is calling out hypocrisy.

V: “Amber Thurman should still be alive.” “As I read MN law” is making false claim about doctors.

W: Distorting the way the MN law is written. Mind your own business. Things worked best under Roe. That doesn’t preclude us from increasing child funding, meals, healthcare. Pushes back on V’s accusation and false claims of what MN abortion law is.

16 Likes

Abortion is also not just about terminating an unwanted pregnancy. And Walz did do a good job pointing that out.

19 Likes

Vance keeps saying his party needs to work harder to earn women’s trust on abortion.

OK, so how you gonna do that without changing your position on abortion?

15 Likes

Looks like 98K viewers on the PBS Youtube channel rn.

6 Likes

I’m definitely going to recommend it to people who decided to skip it and rewatch. It definitely makes up for the moderators stance against fact-checking.

10 Likes

I’m on regular PBS, via the internet.

5 Likes

Vance sort of laughed when he said that “our hearts go out to” the families that are impacted by gun violence. WTF was up with that?

14 Likes