Video: A furious woman at Walmart calls cops on a man because he "looks illegal"

14 Likes

24 Likes

I can’t be racist, my great grandfather’s second cousin’s friend might have been black.

2 Likes

Not my part of the Midwest. I grew up in a neighborhood that is 90% Hispanic.

5 Likes

She’d be totally screwed if she ever found herself in England, because there are a great many regional accents/dialects that are barely recognisable as English, although, sadly, many are dying out due to modern media influencing the way that each new generation speaks.

2 Likes

And she’d doubtlessly be horrified to learn that Spanish is a primary language for countless native-born American citizens, especially in places like Puerto Rico.

19 Likes

Hey, let’s not drag the Chef into this.

3 Likes

Um, so you can tell,just by looking at this woman, that she’s somewhere between 55 and 74 years old, and therefore a valid target for your “boomer” prejudices and stereotypes.

Personally, I’d guess her at about late 30s to late 40s. Which would make her “GenX”, yes?

Oh, but that can’t be right, can it? Everything bad in the world is the boomers’ fault , isn’t it?

Because, yeah, this sort of ‘brain rot’ is only seen in boomers (thus the term "boomer brainrot), amirite?

No one under 55 is ever seen wearing a MAGA hat or spouting tendentious racist nonsense, right?

Right?

2 Likes

I would guess she’s GenX, but if she’s only 40, that’s a hard 40.

I interpreted “boomer brainrot” meaning brainrot originating in Boomers, even if it’s widespread outside the population. Much like Spanish Flu exists outside Spain, and Mad Cow Disease exists outside this woman.

7 Likes

OK, true, “boomer brain rot” is technically a form of ageism, but there is no way she’s a boomer (I am, and she’s quite a bit younger, despite the unhealthy lifestyle making her look weathered), and every other concern leveled against her has been on the mark, so let’s not get too side-tracked by the mote in someone else’s eye post.

10 Likes

Of course it’s age-shaming. It’s about a specific age demographic and it implies a cognitive disorder.

That doesn’t make it any better, and brain disorders go a very long way back.

As a thought experiment, try saying “that [some other demographic] is just saying he has [name of demographic] [very undesirable attribute].” It doesn’t look good.

I agree that outmoded thinking is undesirable.

3 Likes

And, you know, California…

headdesk

True enough.

OTOH, I know a 29-yr-old mother of six who looks a lot like that. So I can’t be sure about a lower limit /-:

But I’d bet good money she’s not over 55. (-:

That’s not a great improvement, really (since it didn’t actually originate with the Boomers).

It’s still just ignorant, ageist, blame-the-boomers bullshit.

2 Likes

Ah, “technically correct”! The very best kind of correct!:wink:

Well, I realize reflexive Boomer-hate often gets a pass around here, but I was just particularly struck by it being flung at a non-Boomer, as a response to her hate.

That looked more like log than a mote, to me. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Age aside, fightin’ illegals is hard work, especially if you’ve dedicated your life to it as this woman has.

8 Likes

Having 6 kids before the age of 30 will do that to ya

Fair enough.

Instead of “boomer brainrot”, she’s experiencing moral panic relating to immigration, much like the moral panics of the 1980s, but with a long and storied history dating back over a century, even though “legal immigration” as we know it today is only on the order of decades old.

Better?

Less punchy and certainly not alliterative, but I think it sums up the issue a lot better.

10 Likes

By all means, avoid Wallmart.
Not because of the possibility of a shooting.
Just avoid Wallmart.

3 Likes

Absolutely (-:

Yep, moral panics over immigration are a longstanding American tradition. Usually whipped up by demagogues of one brand or another to distract from their own corruption and incompetence.

Many have forgotten that past, and so are repeating it today.

2 Likes

I think their immunity stems from an inability to imagine the possibility that they might be wrong. The liberal in the car calls labels a ‘racist’ when she was doing her patriotic duty. The spineless police have not arrested and deported him, so they must be too lazy to do they duty. You could probably make a 100-line program in Visual Basic that churns out this sort of stuff.

I wish there were some way we could, perhaps with a small dose of LSD, get her to imagine what it might be like to be in the skin of someone who is bilingual, and a bit tanned, and having this shrieked at them.

6 Likes

This was in Glendora. Around 26 minutes driving to Glendale.

She’s still racist as hell though. Maybe Glendora has less of a “Mexican” population. But very likely not much less.

1 Like