Watch: Arizona man so outraged over people wearing masks he has to be carted out of store, toddler-style

What’s worse is that if a rational conversation can’t even be had about this, how in the world can you have discussions about more nuanced topics?

9 Likes

You’ve hit on it. Belief trumps (!) reason: couple that with power, political or civic, and here we are.

2 Likes

Well, that escalated quickly. At least 4 cases as of now- in the whole country. So they shut shit down.

Meanwhile, in Florida, doubling down on death and dumbererer:

Florida Sheriff Orders Deputies And Staff Not To Wear Face Masks Florida Sheriff Orders Deputies And Staff Not To Wear Face Masks : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

2 Likes

Oh shit. You beat me to it. Bravo!

Can you be sure you will never be closer to anyone than 6 feet once you leave your mask at home? No? Then wear one or bring it with you. As I saw elsewhere, imagine you have no trousers on but you want to wait as long as possible before putting them on…treat a mask the same way by putting it on when someone can see more of you than they should. Remember, it’s to protect others from you, not you from them.

I get far too many sheepish apologies, here in month 5 of the pandemic, from people who live in a city of 600,000 people and should know it’s entirely likely they will see someone closer than 6 feet. And every one of them I see means one more day the rest of us have to wear the damn things.

9 Likes

And visitors to the sheriff’s department are also forbidden to wear them, according to the article.

I had my first mask harangue the other day. Some stranger started yelling at me some crazy hypothesis that when an American wears a mask, the Muslims win. Apparently there’s a conspiracy theory circulating that the mask requirement is something that al-Qaeda cooked up to make everyone wear niqaab.

11 Likes

At some point, complete lunacy and pure unbridled insanity was embraced fully, and soon they will be incapable of rational thought ever again.

These people believed Hillary was running a child sex trafficking ring out of a DC pizza parlor’s basement.

That alone is fucking nuts, but the place HAD NO BASEMENT.

If they can believe that- there is literally nothing they won’t.

They’re so stupid, belief in QAnon should be classified a malignant communicable neurosis formally in medical journals. You can’t manufacture this level of stupid- I’m convinced it’s literal brain disease because nothing else comes close to explaining it

5 Likes

lead/arsenic/heavy metals poisoning from idustrial/agricultural/frakking pollution to the water supply?
brain rot due to the reversal of water and air protection to further push industry/ag/fossil fuels to greater and greater destructive practice has to have real consequences, does it not?

6 Likes

Let’s just say if we could actually demonstrably prove that, the ramifications would be fascinating and horrifying for all of history.

This has been the single strangest and most frightening year I have ever seen alive

5 Likes

Absolutely, but I suspect if the son is still associating with that human, that would be a difficult situation. I’m reasonably sure the yelling fool would be even more abusive to his own family.

2 Likes

True, although I’m having great difficulty imagining anyone that’s not an entitled angry white person like this fool yelling at people in public like this. (That said, it seems like a better option would be for the store to deal with him, with the best case ending in a ban.)

7 Likes

Fair point, though there’s assholes in every demographic.

I’m just saying that no matter what the problem is, “calling the police” is always gonna be my dead last option - non-humorous pun fully intended.

8 Likes

I wonder what the conversation was once Big Daddy settled down, and had his brain back in order.

1 Like

That assumes he ever did, and had. Which is far from certain.

2 Likes

There are a lot of deniers here in KY, sadly, because we have been so very lucky with the numbers. That said, we broke over 1000 cases a day this week. Reality will be setting in soon.

1 Like

One of the people I supervise at work is, despite being reasonable and rational in most other ways, a COVID denier. His stated position is that he doesn’t believe all the statistics being reported. I haven’t dug deeper on why he doesn’t believe 150,000 Americans are dead because I am his manager and work is not really the place for that. But it disturbs me to no end and I have to change the subject when he brings it up.

8 Likes

The few coworkers I have who are like that believe it is simply that listing covid-positive on your death certificate means you get counted as a covid death, regardless of why you really died. Run over by a car, suicide, died of cancer, whatever, they think all the normal deaths are being counted as covid deaths if the person tests positive.

P.S. I work at a hospital.

10 Likes

Ugh. The dark thing about that is that (as you no doubt know) COVID deaths are being underreported for that reason. Comorbidities like COVID-triggered cardiac events resulting in death are not being counted as COVID deaths, from what I’ve read.

Also thank you for working in a hospital. Folks like you are the heroes in all this.

7 Likes

I know a guy who lives on a pot farm up on salt sprin Island off the Vancouver coast.

He doesn’t believe covid is real. Although he’s not left the farm in literally 40 years. So I feel he really doesn’t have a position of understanding the world in general.

Found a pot farm when he was 20, and never left.

3 Likes

Not even for Twinkies, or Funyuns?

1 Like