Watch this highly effective redneck furniture moving technique

The scene took place in portrait mode. Had she filmed in landscape format, the options would have been

• crop the couch out of the top
  • crop the landing zone out of the bottom
  • pan annoyingly between the two
  • back far enough out to get the full vertical extent of the scene, plus a bunch of extraneous stuff on the sides, and make the actual scene of interest too small to see well.
14 Likes

lol, forgot that good one! :smile:
(…most redneck moves involve driving your house to a new location…heehee…)

1 Like

If you look carefully at 0:42 you can see $3.78 in coins, a lost remote, and small child fall out of the crack.

1 Like

As someone with approximately 50% of his family hailing from Texas, allow me to explain why these guys are not Rednecks and are, in fact, Good Ol’ Boys. Here is the difference:

Rednecks raise livestock, love working on cars, drive pickup trucks, listen to country music, go hunting with their hound dogs, drinks American beer, and throw their empties on your lawn.

Rednecks raise livestock, love working on cars, drive pickup trucks, listen to country music, go hunting with their hound dogs, drinks American beer, and throw their empties in a trash can.

Thus endeth the lesson for the day.

I was waiting for the balcony railings to snap off.

As it turns out they didn’t, that does make it the most efficient way to get the sofa down :slight_smile:

No.

This is a case where portrait mode is the best framing technique. Yes, landscape is ‘best practice’ in many cases.

This is not one of them.

7 Likes

10:1 the original poster/participants self-titled this as a “redneck” activity, particularly given how it doesn’t really fit the sterotypes.

Folks should relax; redneck ≠ hate speech.

I’d agree, but as a furriner, I might not have the best handle on what redneck is.

Creative and probably beer-fuelled solution that uses low-tech/agricultural materials in a manner that has a high risk of hilarious disaster.

Sounds pretty redneck to me. And awesome. I don’t see the two as mutually exclusive. :smiley:

2 Likes

What makes you think the software was “unable to handle” portrait mode? Had it been “handled” and rendered in faux-landscape, you would have missed 70% of what happened in the video. Instead, it’s displayed as it was (incorrectly) shot.

7- No barking dogs in the way.

1 Like

Why would a vertical frame be rendered in any sort of landscape mode? We can display gifs, jpegs and pngs that a 3pxx2147, why not video? It’s ridiculous, if not lazy.

2 Likes

and @Bass
it would’ve bothered me if it hadn’t been self-applied by the uploader, presumably the camera-woman:

FWIW I think @xeni is from W. Virginia. I won’t presume to speak for her, but there is the possibility that she is using it as an expatriate member of the redneck community i.e. with affection.

anyhow, can anyone see what they’re anchoriing the ropes to on the lawn?

1 Like

At a guess, some variety of earth anchor with a couple of folded pillows over the eyes to protect the sofa. You could probably use an angle-iron stake (like those used for marquees) or even a couple of fencing pins if they’re sunk deep enough. I wouldn’t stake my life on the last two, though. :smile:

1 Like

archimedes screw!

1 Like

Hell yeah. I never really liked that bloody streaker anyway. :wink:

1 Like

???

1 Like

Rednecks don’t call themselves rednecks. But even if they did white people can’t use the N word.

Some of us do. There’s a certain kind of, well, “Yankee ingenuity” that pops up here and there (geographical location has nothing to do with it) that leads to innovations like this. Hell, you move enough couches, you might start trying to think of an easier way to get 'em past the narrow, steep stairwells with the inconvenient u-turn landing halfway up. I imagine the person who invented the Forearm Forklift might not have been an egghead college graduate (though he or she may very well have been) but rather someone who spent a lot of time moving heavy things and wondering if there mightn’t be a better way.

I’ve mentioned here before that I grew up in a doublewide in a rural trailer park, and my family and friends and I were called rednecks often enough (even by people who genuinely liked us) that we had no trouble self-applying the label. “Trailer trash” seemed obviously pejorative, but what could be so bad about having a sunburned neck when you lived in a sun-drenched valley 25 miles east of San Diego?

Jeff Foxworthy milked this particular teat dry when describing all the various traits and situations under which “you might be a redneck,” and many of them came from a place of obvious love. My own family did not watch TV on a smaller TV perched atop a larger, broken TV… but my best pal Tom’s family did, for over a year. My grandmother owned a bar and once accepted a fella’s glass eye as collateral on his bar tab (though he never paid up, and I still have the glass eye). That always struck me as a profoundly redneck transaction. I have had a rag for a gas cap. I just took down the last string of last year’s Christmas lights six days ago (seriously). The gas pedal on at least one of my cars is indeed shaped like a bare foot. I used to have no need for a program at stock car races, but I’ve been away long enough now that I have to ask my buddies if Dick Trickle is retired yet. (Actually, I just looked him up. Nope, he don’t race no more. R.I.P.)

The redneck label is one of those appellations where offense can be taken where not intended… or not. Personally, I’ve never been offended by it. But then again, I moved out of the trailer park, and I don’t have to do anything “redneckish” due to a lack of money or any other misfortune. When I do identifiably redneck things like leave my Christmas lights up all year, it’s by choice, not necessity.

8 Likes

One of my favourite literal translations is from French with someone talking about how they used “La Sagesse Normande”.

Which means the problem was solved by Norman Wisdom. Fantastic. :smiley:

3 Likes

That foream forklift thing just looks like a good way to break your arms to me. Anyone know if it actually works?