I found a locked safe hidden at the back of a closet in my new house

Whatcha fill it with then?

4 Likes

Waitaminute, over 3000 posts containing a wealth of practical safecracking advice and you still drilled it open?

I am officially Disappointed in BoingBoing.

11 Likes

LOL no, we hit a thick metal plate at the bottom of the drill holes and were stumped. So I started whaling on the door with a big hammer, and it just popped open. Evidently it was just rusted closed. Kind of a let down, really. At least I didnā€™t spend $400

11 Likes

Shoulda tried the hammer first.

6 Likes

Any plans to re-purpose the safe or you getting rid of it?

1 Like

I might try to repurpose it. It looks like all the pieces are there. The inner cover of the lock was removed, along with the cylindrical inner part with the notched disks ā€“ maybe I can reset the combo somehow? Certainly the holes can be refilled and the top patched with some welding. Anyway, itā€™ll be some time before I can get to itā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™d be an interesting thing to repurpose as an art piece somehow although it can likely be used for other more practical things. I had recommended Rob to reuse his as a liquor cabinet thought I doubt he did.

2 Likes

Well, we did video the ā€œopeningā€ and one of my filmmaker friends is trying to work it into a short film for a competition. Weā€™ll probably stage some weird contents for extra laffs. (Anachronistic iPhone? Miniature diorama? Cryptic/prophetic message?) As for the liquor cabinet, great idea but we already tried. Itā€™s too small even for a beer bottle.

2 Likes

Yeah your safe looks smaller though the scale was hard to tell in the pics. One could put a light inside, swing the door open to illuminate a room. A diorama inside would also be interesting as you mentioned.

4 Likes

8 Likes
4 Likes

funny-pictures-humor-5701624

33 Likes

Best new entry in this thread inā€¦forever!

8 Likes

Been pretty quiet over here. Itā€™s almost like something came up to take our mind off of this sort of frivolity.
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
I say, time to resurrect the frivolities!

11 Likes

Yeah, we could use funny threads like this as safe spaces in these trying times.

7 Likes

24 Likes

Avian Safe Cracker
Imgur

12 Likes

Polly wants is a cracker.

10 Likes

Aw yeah. Iā€™m B.F. ā€œBrute Forceā€ McKay in this short film.

6 Likes

Brute force?
Brute force:

10 Likes